The Reno, simply put, was a legendary, rocking, funk and soul, 1970s cellar club in Moss Side Manchester. Deemed notorious or a rite of passage. To us ‘half caste’ born into 1940s/50s no blacks, no Irish, no dogs it was home.
I am a multi-award winning playwright.
I've been resident in The National Theatre, Contact Theatre, Peterborough Maximum Security Prison, and Askham Grange Open Prison.
As a Reno regular, I’ve been tempted to write a Reno play for many years, but I couldn't capture the nuances.
Instead, I harvested the Reno itself.
2016 I collected our memoirs.
2017 we excavated the actual club with Salford University Archaeology.
2018 we were finalists in 8 awards.
2019 we are resident in the Whitworth Art Gallery March 2019 to April 2020,
2019 we won Outstanding Contibution to Manchester Culture Award
2020 we will transform all we unearth into a MIF show 2022.
We are in the final stages, our exhibit is stable, with a Reno soundtrack, and moody lighting,
We have professionally designed an Excavating the Reno photo-book: free online http://thereno.live/files/RENO_300x300_S6d.pdf
Our exhibit has a dialogue with itself, answer questions, represents us when we aren't there.
It captures the nuances.
We have began writing lessons to excavate the individuals, and polish those nuances more.
Visit our exhibit.
Chat to us
- Your story contextualises ours.
- Our full 60hrs+ memoirs are tagged beside our blog.
- I blog every Sunday – read it– comment.
- Currently I am serialising my journey from inception in 2015.
Join our Reno community
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- I'll add you to our database and keep you informed of important dates.
- Facebook: Excavating the Reno Facebook Group; I visit every weekday.
- Twitter: @excavatingreno
- Instagram @excavatingthereno
Thank you for your interest in our work.